Cheap Places to Travel
Cheap places to travel in Mexico offer a variety of affordable destinations for budget travelers. Here are some cheap places to travel in Mexico:
- Oaxaca: Known for its vibrant culture, delicious cuisine, and stunning colonial architecture, Oaxaca offers a rich experience at an affordable price. Explore the colorful markets, visit ancient ruins, and enjoy the local mezcal. The city has budget accommodations and inexpensive street food options.
- Guanajuato: This picturesque colonial city is full of narrow streets, colorful buildings, and underground tunnels. It’s a great destination for budget travelers with affordable accommodations, inexpensive local eateries, and free or low-cost attractions like the famous Callejón del Beso and the stunning views from El Pipila.
- Mérida: Located in the Yucatán Peninsula, Mérida is known for its colonial architecture, cultural festivals, and Mayan heritage. You can visit free attractions like the central Plaza Grande, explore the local markets, and enjoy affordable local cuisine. Mérida also serves as a gateway to nearby Mayan ruins like Chichén Itzá and Uxmal.
- Puebla: Just a couple of hours from Mexico City, Puebla is a UNESCO World Heritage Site with well-preserved colonial architecture. Explore the historic center, visit the impressive Puebla Cathedral, and indulge in the delicious local cuisine, including the famous mole poblano. Puebla offers affordable accommodations and dining options.
- Mazatlán: Located on the Pacific coast, Mazatlán offers beautiful beaches, a vibrant old town, and a relaxed atmosphere. You can enjoy activities like swimming, sunbathing, and strolling along the malecón (boardwalk) for free. Mazatlán has affordable accommodations, local markets, and inexpensive seafood options.
- San Cristóbal de las Casas: Nestled in the highlands of Chiapas, San Cristóbal de las Casas is a charming colonial town known for its indigenous culture and natural beauty. Explore the colorful streets, visit local markets, and enjoy affordable regional dishes. Nearby attractions like Sumidero Canyon and indigenous villages offer budget-friendly day trips.
- Puerto Escondido: A popular beach destination on the Oaxacan coast, Puerto Escondido offers stunning beaches, great surfing spots, and a laid-back atmosphere. You can find budget accommodations, cheap seafood eateries, and enjoy the local nightlife without breaking the bank.
- Valladolid: Located in the Yucatán Peninsula, Valladolid is a small and charming town with a rich Mayan history. Explore the cenotes (natural sinkholes), visit the nearby ancient ruins of Chichén Itzá and Ek Balam, and enjoy local street food. Valladolid offers budget-friendly accommodations and a relaxed ambiance.
- Cozumel: Is a popular island destination in Mexico, known for its stunning beaches, vibrant coral reefs, and rich marine life. While Cozumel offers a range of accommodations and activities to suit different budgets, here are some tips for enjoying Cozumel on a budget:
- Choose affordable accommodations: Cozumel has a variety of accommodation options, including budget-friendly hotels, hostels, and guesthouses. Look for accommodations that are slightly away from the main tourist areas to find better deals. Consider booking in advance to secure lower rates.
- Explore public beaches: Cozumel is home to several beautiful public beaches that you can enjoy for free or at a minimal cost. Some popular options include Playa Palancar, Playa San Martin, and Playa Corona. Pack a picnic, bring your own beach gear, and spend a relaxing day by the sea.
- Snorkel from shore: Cozumel‘s underwater world is a major attraction for snorkelers and scuba divers. Instead of booking expensive snorkeling tours, you can snorkel from shore at various locations around the island. Some popular spots include Dzul Ha, Chankanaab Beach Adventure Park, and Paradise Reef. Rent snorkeling gear at a reasonable price and explore the colorful coral reefs on your own.
- Visit the local markets: Cozumel has several local markets where you can find fresh produce, souvenirs, and local handicrafts at lower prices compared to tourist-oriented shops. Check out the Municipal Market in San Miguel, where you can find a variety of goods, including local fruits, spices, and handmade crafts.
- Eat at local eateries: While Cozumel offers a range of restaurants, dining at local eateries and street food stalls can be more budget-friendly. Try authentic Mexican dishes like tacos, tortas, and empanadas from local vendors. Look for small local restaurants known as “fondas” that serve affordable, home-style meals.
- Rent a scooter or bicycle: Instead of relying on taxis or renting a car, consider renting a scooter or bicycle to explore the island. It’s a more economical and fun way to get around Cozumel, and you can easily reach popular attractions and beaches at your own pace.
- Enjoy free or low-cost activities: Cozumel offers more than just beaches and snorkeling. Explore the town of San Miguel, visit the San Gervasio archaeological site (entrance fee required but relatively affordable), or take a stroll along the waterfront promenade. Keep an eye out for local events and festivals, as they often offer free or inexpensive entertainment.
- Take advantage of happy hour deals: Many restaurants and bars in Cozumel offer happy hour specials, where you can enjoy discounted drinks and appetizers. Look for these deals to enjoy a night out without spending a fortune.
Remember to always prioritize your safety and well-being when traveling on a budget. Cozumel offers plenty of affordable options to explore and enjoy this beautiful island without breaking the bank.
Remember, even when traveling on a budget, it’s essential to research and plan ahead to find the best deals on accommodations, transportation, and attractions.